Sandon Court is part of Plymouth’s former Royal Naval Hospital, now known as ‘The Millfields’. The Grade II* listed complex was built between 1758 and 1762, part of a national project to treat naval casualties during the peak era of British sea power. Sandon Court had served several functions at the hospital, including latterly an X-Ray unit, before its conversion to office and educational uses in the late 20th century. Our scheme for five residential apartments combines sensitivity to the heritage of the site, with efficient, saleable layouts to deliver a return for the developer.
Whilst much of the interior character of the building had been altered over time, the remaining original features were preserved and incorporated into the new apartments. New garden rooms were created in the former colonnade, and deep window reveals were perfect opportunities for built-in window seats.
With keen interest from buyers before the building contract was complete, we worked with the contractor, developer, and Local Authority to achieve consent for minor modifications that were bespoke to buyers’ requests.